Media Contact: Aaron Voos, (307) 745-2323
Public Should Note Temporary Road Closures on Medicine Bow National Forest
(LARAMIE, Wyo.) July 29, 2013 – Multiple temporary road closures will be going into effect soon on the Medicine Bow National Forest, some as early as this week. Visitors to the area and those using Forest roads for any reason should be aware of these closures and should plan accordingly.
- Beginning today, July 29, Forest Road 543 on the Laramie Ranger District (LRD) will be closed weekdays through Dec. 1 for roadside hazard tree removal. This is the section of the Douglas Creek Road to the west of Rob Roy Reservoir, from Keystone north to the 500 Road. No operations will occur on weekends or on special holidays. Alternate routes during the weekly closures include the 511, 500, 542 or 512 roads.
- Also beginning today, the Jack Creek Road, or Forest Road 452, will be closed through August 9 so that crews can replace an existing culvert with a bottomless arch. The 452 road, on the Brush Creek/Hayden Ranger District (BCH) will not be passable at the Nugget Creek crossing during this time period. The road will be closed from the 443 Road junction to the 457 Road junction for the duration of the project.
- Once the Nugget Creek project is completed, Forest Service crews will mobilize to complete the Pelton Creek (898 Road) project on the LRD. This road will be closed from August 12-24. The project will require the stretch from Forest Road 530, the Spruce Gulch Road, to the Pelton Creek Campground to be closed to vehicles. This is also a culvert replacement project.
- Work to clear hazard trees from the roadside leading into Rob Roy Campground on the LRD could close the campground for multiple days at some point in early August. Please check with the District office for details, as the exact closure dates will depend on contractor availability.
- Sand Lake Road (Forest Road 101), on the LRD, which has been intermittently closed for the last month due to hazard tree removal, is anticipated to open within the next week or two. North Fork Campground will also open at the same time.
During all of these closure periods travelers should expect to encounter trucks exiting and entering nearby roads and highways. Visitors are also reminded to be aware of and avoid heavy equipment operating in the area. Do not enter areas which are posted closed, as they are closed for public safety.
The increased truck traffic and temporary road closures are short-term necessities for long-term forest health and public safety. The U.S. Forest Service appreciates the patience of all visitors affected by the work.
LRD visitors are encouraged to check the latest status of roads and recreation sites by calling 307-745-2300 or stopping by the District Office at 2468 Jackson Street in Laramie from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Visitors to the BCH Ranger District can check the status of work areas by calling 307-326-5258 or stopping by the District office at 2171 S. Highway 130 in Saratoga between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, this summer.
Information may also be found on this website, http://fs.usda.gov/mbr, or you can follow the Medicine Bow-Routt National Forests and Thunder Basin National Grassland on Twitter, @MBRNFsTBNG.