La Bonte Canyon Road to Temporarily Close for Culvert Installation

(DOUGLAS, Wyo.)  September 26, 2017 – La Bonte Canyon Road (Forest Road 658) will be temporarily closed in early October 2017 for installation of a culvert. The new culvert and subsequent road surface repairs will be a permanent fix to road issues stemming from a washout in spring of 2016.

The contractor could begin positioning equipment as early as this week and is scheduled to start work the first week of October. A U.S. Forest Service closure order for the road will be in place and a one-lane detour will be made available as soon as possible for visitor access. It is anticipated that the road will be completely closed from Oct. 5-9 while the temporary detour is being created. The detour is expected to be in place until late October and may limit access for larger vehicles and/or trailers to the canyon.

The section of La Bonte Canyon Road to be repaired is located immediately east of its junction with County Road 61/16 (Fetterman Road).

La Bonte Canyon Road is a popular route on the extreme northern edge of Albany County, just south of the Converse County line and off Fetterman Road. The road is in the Medicine Bow National Forest, Laramie Peak unit, and accesses a series of trails, as well as Curtis Gulch Campground.

Since the washout last year a temporary road surface and culvert have been in place, which made the section of road narrower than normal, roughly half the width it was before, and not recommended for heavy loads.

As a reminder, several of the County roads in the Laramie Peak unit have limited maintenance and snow removal from November to May.

Please contact the Douglas Ranger District for current road conditions. For more information, call (307-358-4690) or stop by the office at 2250 E. Richards St. in Douglas, Wyo.

Temporary road closures are a short-term inconvenience needed to provide for long-term resource benefit and public safety. Visitors need to be aware of ongoing changes that may affect travel.

Those traveling through the National Forest should pay attention to signage and refer to the Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) for legal travel routes. MVUMs are free and physical copies can be obtained at the District Office, or online versions can be found here,

Posted by IT Department September 26, 2017 Categories: Forest Service
Rate this Content 0 Votes
-September 2017+
  • RSS
  • Subscribe


Smart Prepare


  • Entries (266)